Stepping into motherhood is a beautiful experience and at the same time, an exciting one too! With the changes in our lifestyles and awareness about the upcoming health standards, pregnancy is no more a confinement period for a woman. Nowadays, being healthy is associated with optimum activity levels and carrying out the daily chores independently. However, there are certain factors to be considered to ensure a ‘healthier’ you during this special stage and, fitness levels is one of those factors.
Regular workout during pregnancy not only strengthens the muscles to balance that extra weight but also promotes the overall wellbeing of the to-be mother. A feel good factor, improved cardio endurance, better sleep, correct posture and no aches and pains are some of the other benefits of a regular exercise program during pregnancy.
Although it is considered safe to exercise during pregnancy once a woman has completed her first trimester and has no known associated medical conditions, it is always advisable to consult an obstetrician before enrolling for any exercise program during pregnancy.
Depending on one’s personal interest, below are a few exercise options to be followed during pregnancy:
- Pregnancy Yoga: Yoga is an ancient practice of connecting mind and body for wellbeing and good health. It is highly recommended during pregnancy. Practicing pregnancy yoga encourages women to stay fit, connect with their babies and have a positive outlook towards delivery.
- Stretching: Stretching is a great way to keep your body flexible and relaxed at the same time. A short stretching routine, within the comfortable limits, helps in maintaining an optimal postural alignment and avoid muscular discomforts.
- Functional Training: utilizing the body weight is a great way to keep oneself fit. It not only keeps the weight gain in check, but also helps to build stamina and endurance. Since the same is a skilled workout option, it is suggested to do the same under supervision.
- Aerobics and Fitness Sessions: Pregnancy aerobics workout is an enjoyable way to maintain the overall wellbeing during pregnancy. It not only boosts the energy levels, but also promotes a feeling of wellness as it encompasses all aspects of a workout.
- Dance: Get your heart pumping by dancing to your favourite tunes.
- Walk: One of the best cardiovascular exercises for pregnant women, walking keeps you fit without jarring your body. It is safe to do throughout the pregnancy.
Indulging into exercise regularly also aids in getting the baby in an ideal birthing position, facilitating the birthing process. Continuing the post-delivery benefits, a speedy recovery and alleviating post-partum musculo-skeletal dysfunctions are additional benefits of working out during pregnancy.